African Vegetables Company Ltd. (AVL) is a canning factory and farm in Moshi, Tanzania, owned by Dutch holding JAMAEL Food Group. We produce green beans in glass jars and export them to Europe via our sister company Baltussen in the Netherlands. They support us operationally in various ways, including sales, labeling as well as logistics & distribution. Our Quality and Financial Managers are also based in the Netherlands.
It is our mission to sustainably produce export-level quality food in Tanzania and provide local and regional access to the same standards. We believe value addition through food processing, thereby preserving nutrients and enhancing shelf life, will be a key contributing factor in improving export and local market offering. Besides canning, we will introduce fresh produce for export. For the longer term, we are exploring other canned goods for export as well as bringing suitable canned goods to the local and regional market.
After a production stop due to COVID-19, we are aiming to resume operations in July of this year. We will start production as quickly as possible to meet our already-confirmed customers’ demands, while at the same time ensuring we set up operations in in line with the company mission, optimize our operational efficiency and solidify our social and environmental sustainability.
We are looking for a General Manager with the experience and ability to set up and run the operations of the business and ensure the company achieves our mission.
The overarching role of the General Manager (GM) is realizing the AVL company mission & strategy as set by the Board through the company’s operations, and reporting results back to the board. You will be responsible for translating the company mission into operational goals, working closely together with, as well as mentoring, middle management. The performance of all operational business units falls under the responsibility of the GM.
- Develop operational plan according to AVL strategy together with middle management including KPIs, ensure implementation (after BOD approval), and monitor and report on results on a standard basis. This leads to a cost-conscious, quality-driven, sustainable production system, including
- Production schedule that meets all requirements
- Conscientious company-wide financial management, incl. budget, cash flow & forecasting
- Streamlined farm & factory operations
- Strategic & effective procurement
- Environmental & social sustainability plan & targets
- A supportive and effective HR strategy
- Total resource management (assets, farms)
- The set-up of new product lines where required
- Create a culture of continuous improvement and optimization across all areas of the organization, by
- Setting up systems to gather and analyze data consistently and correctly
- Ensuring transparent, consistent availability and appropriate accessibility of relevant company information
- Creating a data-supported culture by driving management on data-backed results
- Improving & optimizing processes through results-oriented thinking, initiating improvement where necessary
- Lead, motivate & coach middle management, enabling them to function optimally and take ownership of their part in the success of AVL, through
- Enabling people, assets, and capital
- Ensuring cooperation & communication across relevant areas (e.g. farm & factory)
- Removing obstacles using communication, knowledge and experience
- Ensuring & facilitating effective communication channels across the organization
- Represent and lead AVL operations with respect to internal and external stakeholders, by
- Informing Board on matters that directly influence company strategy & policy, reporting on company performance regularly and taking ownership of operational performance
- Identifying, exploring and trialing opportunities for new business, understanding the market and its requirements, and understanding AVL wider business environment
- Sustaining contacts with governmental bodies where related to operational matters and maintain knowledge of latest policy & legislation on this
Who we are looking for
Education & experience
- Minimum college degree level education in a relevant field
- Minimum 5 years management experience in a food processing environment, experience in canning an advantage
- Working knowledge of food safety, quality, and processing
- Experience in commercial agriculture, horticulture experience an advantage
- Demonstrable experience in finance management, improvement processes, and data-driven decision making
- Experience in digital analysis & admin tools (e.g. advanced Excel, ERP software)
- Languages: fluent English (written & spoken), Swahili an advantage
- Able to see the big picture as well as how its components relate to it
- Conscientious, but able to take decisions and follow through
- Able to translate vision & high-level goals to daily activities
- A team player who can enthusiastically motivate, engage and connect others
- Comfortable in an office as well as a production floor and farm
- Committed to sustainability and have thoughts on what that means in our context
- Able to work well in different cultural contexts, and happy to travel when necessary
- Excited about leading a diverse team in developing a company to improve & grow
- A young, growing, and unique business environment committed to quality and sustainability, where you can make a big difference
- A diverse and international team committed to the business
- Competitive salary and appropriate benefits package
How to apply
Send your resume and references, as well as a short motivation letter (max 750 words), to HR@africanvegetables.co.tz. We will send you a confirmation email and inform you of subsequent steps.
Application ends when the position is filled.